Friday, October 18, 2013

DIY Halloween decorations, bats, ghosts, Jack-O-Lanterns, pumpkin muffins and more! #funforFriday

Since school began we have not had a normal week yet! Meaning, someone has missed a day of school at least once a week. It's crazy. This week so far we've had 1 sour stomach, 2 stuffed up noses and 5 stitches alone! [my excuse for not blogging as much ;)] So we've had a lot of indoor decoration opportunity time, and I'm happy to share some of the latest Halloween fun with you here. We are not fancy, we just take stuff in the house and make it fit the season.

Last year I posted a DIY ghost, and I continued that tradition here. Last year I just used plastic bags, but this year I had very little, and I wanted them to be a little stiffer, so I found a white linen remnant leftover from another order and just kept it to 8 stiff ghosts.

I cut 12 x 12 linen squares with pinking shears, balled up some tissue paper or newspaper and put it inside for the head, then tied it off with a ribbon.

Last year I used plastic bags so that they would be more weather-proof, but they still got a little tired by Halloween anyways, so I'd rather them start out stiffer in linen this year.

My daughter used a marker to make some faces.
The key to hanging them is that you want the head above the tree branch so that they don't look like hanging men, just floating ghosts.

The new project that hit me this year was to use these old plastic orange planters that I had no use for, and make them into Jack - O - Lanterns.

This was real complicated: my kids painted them. Well actually I painted the faces, and then let them have their way with the rest of it.

I would like to fill them with some dried sunflowers or fake flowers and put them out on Halloween night. Or maybe some mums!

So then we got a little carried away and made bats out of black plastic planters, some silver paint, and some pieces of cardboard we painted black.

 
I hot-glued the wings on and used the holes in the bottom of the planter to thread the ribbon so you can hang them up!  Don't forget to paint the faces upside-down if you are planning on hanging them. I actually painted two faces  - one right side up and one upside down so that I could either hang them, or put them on the patio next to the Jack-O-Lanterns.


Then it was time to make pumpkin muffins.

 

 We got this super easy recipe from their preschool:

PUMPKIN MUFFINS
1 1/2 cup sugar
1 cup oil
3 eggs
1 lb can pumpkin
1 1/2 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla

Measure all ingredients in a big mixing bowl. Beat together well for 5 minutes. Pour into cupcake pans (fill more than 1/2 full). Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.

Over the weekend we had fun with Daddy at Linvilla Orchards. They had an Apple Sling, which I would think would be super easy to make at home, too.



 

"So the ghostes are the pigs, and the apples are the angry birds, Daddy?"



 

I have to say I never really got 'into' Halloween until I had kids. It is definitely something to do and get ready for, since they LOVE candy, dressing up, and harassing the neighbors.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN-ING! 

HAPPY FRIDAY!

3 comments:

  1. yessssssssss! thanks for these Halloween decoration ideas . This year’s Halloween is going to be more creative and hopefully cheap too. lol :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...