Thursday, August 8, 2013

Guest Post: Staying Active on Vacation by MCM Mama

Ok you guys...you are now leaving the world of 'small blogger' and entering the world of 'big blogger.' Meet MCM Mama, a woman who, amongst other things, is running a race in all 50 states by the time she is 50! I was particularly enthralled with her account of the Dust Bowl Series, which incorporated 5 half-marathons in 5 states in 5 days this past March. She's planning another such undertaking next year! See her much cooler, much more professional blog here, and let's hope maybe I can thank her - and meet her -  in person some day!
 
Since Ashley is off gallivanting and letting other people feed her kids, I'll tell you about how I survived my vacation and stayed fit in the process.

I'm not a cruise kind of girl and my husband, Beer Geek, is well, kind of a geography geek. Our vacations tend to include side trips to places no one else would consider going. But that's ok, usually I get to run a race.

This summer, we decided to hit the wilds of Kentucky. The trip was awesome, but it involved WAY more driving than we've done on vacation in a while. We put 1900 miles on my Pilot, which is more than I usually put on my car in a year. Whoa... With all the driving + renting a house that did not lend itself well to running meant I had to actually plan ways to stay active and stay fit. Here are my tips:
  • Take advantage of all the "touristy" things you can do that involve moving. This trip, we hiked up to a tri-point (AKA where 3 states all meet), walked through Mammoth Caves, and went white water rafting.
tri-point  
  • Use the resources that are available to you. Got a swimming pool? Tread water or swim laps with your kids. Got a hotel gym? Get up early before the kids or go late after they are in bed. Gym nearby? Lots of gyms will offer an inexpensive weekly membership. Nothing available? Pushups, squats, crunches, etc. can be done anywhere.
  • Sign up for a race. I've run races in 26 states. At least half of those were run as part of our vacations. It's a great way to get a workout and see some areas you might not otherwise visit. Even better, choose a distance your kids can do to. (This was actually the first vacation in YEARS that I didn't race. I didn't even go for a run. Oops.)
Harvest_Days
  • Cut yourself some slack. Some days (10 hours of driving days come to mind) you are going to be too tired or the options will be slim. That's ok. I usually aim to manage about 50% of what I'd be doing at home. And, if you've ever read my blog, you know we'll be hitting brewpubs and distilleries and vineyards along the way. Balance and everything in moderation and all that.
My last tip? If you can manage it, stay in places where you can fix your own food. I credit VRBO with not having gained any weight on vacation in the last 7 years. Hopefully Ashley is having a fun and active vacation. I can't wait to hear all about her cruise!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh 2 of my 'must read" bloggers combined into one..yesss! I agree with all of this, especially the cut yourself some slack one!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...