Monday, April 29, 2013

Fitness Guilt

Ugh. I haven't run in almost a WEEK. It's awful. I just didn't feel like it. 

I understand you cannot be a professional athlete and "listen to your body" all the time but I'm not a professional athlete. 

I'm not really an athlete at all

Maybe I'm not listening to my body...but my soul... 

And if it doesn't feel like it, there's a reason. 

I certainly have days when as long as I just slip on my running shoes,  they do all the work for me - they make the decision to head outside, to go one more mile, to run up the hill I usually walk.

But then there are other days when I cannot put one foot in front of the other. I have my music, my Garmin, my best sports bra and my visor...I pick one foot up and it falls down. It does not want to move. 

My whole body screams "I DON'T WANNA!"

I've struggled with moving the number on the scale, so I can't say I'm an expert, but I'm learning that the days I don't burn 1000 calories, I still may make progress on my weight loss. 

It helps me lean up if I take a day off.

There are long workouts where I find myself wanting to eat an entire beast-like animal afterwards. 

Then I take a day off, and keep control of my appetite. 

Training does not help me lose weight; dieting, or watching what I eat, always does. 

I'm also starting to suspect the days I stay away from wheat and gluten, I keep lean. Oats and rice, still ok. So I can't say it's a carb thing...But that's all beside the point at the moment.

There are days I could do a lot of damage by heading out for a run. My nipples, my knees, my heavy heart, my crazed thoughts, my hormones....all of this affects my body response. 

And I can't do it.

And then I will bonk, and I will feel like an awful human being.

But then, I get guilty. I regret all day not having worked out. I start strategizing when I could fit something in. And reminding myself that that special race I signed up for is looming closer and closer....And that's awful too! Why can't I take a day, or even a few days off?


Fitness guilt.
   
It's worse than a Jewish mother-in-law!

I've managed not to have one; gotta work on eradicating the other...


[the fitness guilt, obvie...]
[you sickos]


How do you do it? Or do you not miss a workout, EVER???

7 comments:

  1. I miss them all the time. It used to bother me a lot more than it does (It still bothers me, but sometimes more than others). I carry a crazy schedule, and with that I have learned to expect that not everything is going to go as planned.

    Don't beat yourself up.You have an active busy life and you do what you can. Some days it will be easier than others.

    Don't say you aren't an athlete...you are (believe it!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that one can burn out one's body/brain. Too much too soon will cause my brain to come up with all kinds of excuses. It's not that you aren't able to do the workouts you choose - it's your body/brain saying - that was a little too much, we need to take a break and we're going to make you NOT want to workout. We're slaves to our brains :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally forgot about the brain thing - I definitely didn't overtrain my body, but my brain is not used to training so much early in the season - I had the same problem last year. Good point!!

      Delete
  3. Oh I miss workouts all the time! Some days it's all I can do to get home, get dinner cooked, get the kids cleaned up and off to bed, then find time AND energy to workout. I get discouraged and think, "I'm not getting any younger! I should be treating my body better!" But I'm with ya..there are days when your body DOES need a break and/or rest. I think a lot of people forget to listen to their body and end up doing more harm than good. I also agree on the wheat and gluten! It makes me feel very sluggish and bloated. Thanks for this post! It's nice to know I'm not the only one feeling fitness guilt - especially tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. fitness guilt - mommy guilt - relationship guilt - eco guilt - work guilt - the list goes on and on!! Sometimes you just have to say no to the world, I think. ;)

      Delete
  4. I try hard not to miss them because it makes me feel awful. Occasionally, however, I do take a well-deserved break. Two weeks ago, took off the whole weekend. I felt guilty until I realized I haven't done that since November. So I rarely miss a workout, but I do have two rest days scheduled every week, which I think is how I keep it up.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...