Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Broad Street Run Slacker Training Plan

As I mentioned on fb, I think it's important we pause, pray, pursue peace, and live out our dreams anyway. I'm so saddened by the news from the Boston marathon. I believe we can't  let it stop us from doing something we love, including gathering in large races together and running our a$$es off. 

[Or, in my case, just running and and trying not to come in last.] 
 
As usual I wake up five weeks before race day and think, "hmmm...how shall I prepare for this thing?" I'm a winner, not a planner, duh. Also it is helpful that at least one of my children are conveniently sick one week out of each month so as to throw off any lofty training goals.

Actually I'm not trying to win, I'm not trying to beat a certain pace....I just want to finish. And I would like to not be last in my age group. Although I will certainly be last in my mommy group. I don't know why I hang out with those fast bitches.

I am by no means a runner, an expert, nor uber experienced, but I have just learned what works in my body/schedule/recovery time and here's what I've come up with for Broad Street so that I may finish the thing.

[And remember hubby/coach's motto:]
It doesn't have to be pretty.
Broad Street Run 10-miler in 5 weeks
Week of Short RunCross - TrainShort RunCross - Train Long Run
Apr 1missedgardening3 milesspin5 miles
Apr 84 milesgardening3 milesspin 8 miles
Apr 154 - 5 milesspin/swim3 mileslong bike (30 m)10-11 miles
Apr 223 - 4 milesswim .5-1k4-5 milesspin6-9 miles
Apr 293 - 4 milesswim .5-1k3 miles[not this week]RACE



I only post this to help others say "no, idiot, that's not right" or "ok I think I could do that" because that's what I do when I'm searching others' training plans. I actually haven't found much for other people's 10-miler plans; I just know my basic rules, as framed from bits and pieces I've learned.

Quick & Dirty Training Rules
  • 2 short runs and 1 long run per week
  • other strength-building/exercise helps keep me loose
  • a little taper towards the last week to rest/prep
  • never run the exact distance for mental purposes
  • sprint/intervals for one short run per week helps with speed 
I have it in the back of my mind that I could use race week to do my "Half-Ironman in a week" training plan [again, just my way of visualizing], but I don't know if that's actually going to happen.
But that goes to the point that the reason I under-train, under-prepare, and under-think it, is that I'm only keeping my eye on one race this season: Delaware DiamondMan, September 8th; my first Half-Iron distance race

Oh yeah....gotta email that coach....


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...