Monday, October 29, 2012

I heart WD Box

I don't care what you say to the public about your child(ren)'s TV consumption. What I'm about to describe to you is going to cream your mom jeans.

I have a product, one that I'm about to shamelessly promote (and without, unfortunately, being reimbursed to do so), that will make you get on your knees and beg your hubby or nearest geek for one.

It's just a box. It's not unlike what you may use to stream Netflix. It's not unlike an Apple TV box. But it's still different. It's been around longer, and it keeps getting better with age. And if you don't have Apple TV or stream Netflix with another device, then how are you living with children. "On Demand" is soooo Depression-era thinking.

What IS IT, Twynmawrmom. What is this fantastical thingy? TELL ME!!
It's called a Western Digital box. And it streams my sitter entertainment onto my TV from an external hard drive in which my movie-nerd of a husband has 'ripped' said movies. I know he spends a lot of time on this; but his movie collection was so vast that he needed to find a way to store and stroke them. This cache includes: Baby Eintstein's, chic flix, Mary Poppins, Disney-Disney-and-more-Disney, an all-you-can-eat buffet of Star Wars/Harry Potter/Lord of the Rings, my fave TV shows like Dexter, LOST, workout videos like P-90X, Yoga, and so on and so the f on.
 
HUNDREDS.
as much as you can fit.
that is, as much as you can store onto whatever external hard drive you choose to buy 
(yeah, you gotta buy two things: the streaming thingy and the storage thingy.)

we started with 1GB of storage 7 years ago. 
we upped it to 1Terrabyte since we had children. 
we're going to have to upgrade again. 

Yes, Twynmawrmom, I want my children to voluntarily silence themselves. But how does it work? 
When you go to play a DVD, you might use a different remote to choose a different 'input' on your TV and then load it in. The WD box also uses a remote and requires you to switch to a different input. So you will need to have stopped referring to a remote as a 'clicker' in order to be up to speed enough for WD. 

But once you're in...it gives you a menu of your fave movies--mine includes images of said movies so that my children can literally point on the TV to what movie they want to watch. This was incredibly helpful in the earlier years...


I heart it. When we gave up naps about a year ago, it's our 'quiet time.' We go on the box, and we choose a movie or a few episodes of a show (or as of late, we are back to Baby Einstein in a weird way...but I don't question their listening to classical music and looking at baby crack...I just don't.)

One of my presents for our anniversary this year is that hubby had loaded Dexter: Season 6 on the box so that we could run a marathon if we wanted. We're taking it slow, however. Every weekend we watch an episode or two to have that premiere-channel-anticipatory-glee. Even though season 7 has begun and it's killing me. No pun intended. Showtime got budgeted out this year...



GET IT. If you are a new mommy, it will blow your mind. If you or your hubby don't know how to rip your own DVD's onto the thing, GET HELP. It's worth it. I believe "handbrake" is a program that does it for Macs.

Here's what CNET has to say about it. I think they would just suggest you get an Apple TV.

I don't question how this magic gets made. It's just that...it's magic. And I heart it. 





1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a sweet setup! We have a roku, which is comparable to Apple TV, but if we had tons of movies on had we would so do something like this.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...