Sunday, September 23, 2012

sUn-edited: girl friendships

I'm going to start practicing what I preach, at least on Sundays. "sUn-edited", I'll call it, and I'll post an old draft that, for one reason or another, I have not published yet 
[and I'll try, really really hard, not to touch it, I swear! Ok like mostly.]

Here's the first one: 

Things I want to teach my daughter about girl friendships

Girls can be mean.

There's no one like family.

You will have many friendships over your lifetime, not just one. 

Sticks and stones may break your bones, but words will stick with you for life. But they won't break your bones.

Smile and say "ok" as soon as you can.

Smile and say "no way" as soon as you need to.  

Girls are natural nurturers. 
You can talk and talk and talk and a girl will listen.

Girls and boys can't really be best friends for life; sooner or later someone is going to want to have sex.  Unless said friends are married to other people, in which case one hopes one or both of them will have the decency not to act on the desire to have sex with one another. But in college go ahead and be best friends with them; this may work out down the line. 

Gay boyfriends are not girls.

A real friend will support your decision to do something that she's not. 

What you give, you will not always get in return.

But if you don't give anything, you won't get anything.

Like cable cars, girls will come back around. 

Girls are hard. Watch Mean Girls. Over and over.


Then call me. Let's go shopping. 

1 comment:

  1. I love this! And to publish un-edited... Very brave. I find myself reading and editing, reading and editing. It takes courage, Ashley. I'm inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...