Monday, September 3, 2012

The man behind the fam

Every time I spend a long weekend or vacation week with my husband, I love him more. I know, barf. But I think it's a good sign that we fight more when we are apart. When we are together, I'm reminded of the reasons I married him. And one of the biggest reasons, was that we both knew at a young age, that we wanted to be parents. Fabulous earnings potential? Great. Outstanding father potential? Sexiest thing ever.

So I'm inspired to tell my kids...

Dear Babies,

If, God forbid, something should happen to me, I want you two to know why I picked your Daddy to be your Daddy, and why you will be in the best hands possible.

He's the kindest man I've ever known.
He's the smartest man I've ever known (sorry, bro.)

He will figure out what makes you laugh, and then try to make you laugh for the rest of his life.

Even if he doesn't care what a slob he looks like, he's better at styling and wardrobe,  for both sexes, when you really need it. Make him take you shopping when you are interviewing for your first job, or your wedding, or any big event. 

In fact, make him do a lot of things. That is our job in his life. Ultimately you will not be able to make him do anything he doesn't want to do, but he secretly wants to do a lot of things, so you just have to get him out the door.

Same with dancing. Just get him out on the floor.

He will let you fly away from him, but he will never leave you, and you will never leave him. He will always, always, hold you when you are falling apart.

He is not into sports. This is a good thing, especially for scheduling purposes. If you take him to any sort of game, he'll still enjoy watching it, and explaining the best strategy play at that moment. And if you play a sport, you better let him coach you. No one will know more about the best approach to do what you want to do. Just give him an inkling.
This is also true for your choice of career. He will support you and learn with you what you need to do in order to succeed in that industry. Unless it is musical theatre, in which case, you will just need to explain to him that it was inevitable and that it will work for you because you are way cuter than mommy ever was.

He is a moderately conservative investor. He understands risk in all things. He is an amazing strategist. These are all things you will appreciate after your teen years are over. 

He will buy generic brand groceries, and splurge on the most expensive tasting menu when you go out. He'll say, this is how he can afford to go out. He loves to go out.

Same with vacations. Why eat fancy dinners every weekend when you can save up for a fancy vacation? He loves vacations. Take him with you when you can. Don't worry, he'll pay.

He never thought he'd be so lucky to have us.  His whole life was building up to having a family, and you are the center of his world. He'll find other things to do when you fly away, but just so you know, you are still his priority.

In fact, there is no way I could have survived marriage, or having kids, without him. He is the reason we are a solid-built couple, and a triple-reinforced family. He's the backstage crew building the set and running the show of our family, and he only wants us to shine. He loves us, more than himself.

Oh that reminds me, don't ask him to build you anything. It will last through the apocalypse, but it will take him that long to build it. This strategy just works best on family-building.

He's the best Daddy for you, and best husband for me. I realized this after knowing him for five years, and dating him for two minutes. The best part is, he'll help you find the same. Let him. He did for me.

I love you always, 
mommy


2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...