Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Craft Day: lampshade...quilt block...back to lampshade

Ohhhhhhhh myyyyyyy....here it comes!!!! [drumroll please] QUILTING SEASON is upon us.  I know, I know, it's super exciting. I am a dork as well as amateur-everything-else.

I actually opened the season to divert myself from my initial failing at recovering a lampshade.


Quick & Dirty (lampshade)
  • I only looked at the pic of the tutorial and I saw 'glue gun' and then, stopped reading.
  • If you don't have a pattern for the shade from its previous cover, try strips of fabric, cuz cutting it correct is a bitch impossible
  • Think about trim ahead of time, or make sure your edges are neat
  • divert your three-year-old's attention with cleaning the lamp base with Q-tips only [hours, literally!]
  • darker/thicker/stiffer fabric will hide the glue marks & be easier to work with
Started here (see the spot? see my initial choice of fabrics?)





Ended here (worth it.)



















Quick & Dirty (wonky corners block)
source tutorial
  • start with 2.5" square
  • various strips of 2-3"
  • keep one corner in tact, then add strips like a half of a log-cabin to the other two sides
  • alternate by angling in, so the tops are skinnier than their bottoms, and out
  • could not get away without cutting and ironing after each 'duo' (would make back bulky)
  • stop at your desired finished size (in my case, 15" square)
Started to get it here.
Finished product
Slow & Painful 
First Craft Day of the Season 
I LOVE LAMP
I had to get this lamp at my Moms' Sale for my daughter. I saw the little flaw in the shade, and shook it off. This will be easily remedied. Or I could buy a new shade. Although, that would probably remove any discount I received by getting it at a second-hand sale.

I remembered I had just pinned a tutorial on my Pinterest page, so no brainer. Fabric and glue gun at the ready.
But how to cut said fabric? Hmmmm...
Aha! Since I don't have a pattern to follow like in the tutorial, I cut strips.

Oh that first fabric was too thin and flimsy. It wouldn't hold its spot, and the glue would show right through to the other side, even though I was trying to keep the glue on the inside of the shade on the top trim and bottom trim. So it was scrapped. 


This second third fabric choice was much easier to work with. 

I cut it into quarters, and started wrapping it around the shade, and only gluing it on the inside of the shade at the top and bottom, just like I figured planned.

But the top and bottom still did look a little rough, so I'll just use some ribbon as trim to dress it up, no? But which one?

Well...I chose the pink stripe, because I thought I could turn it under and the stripes would help me space without measuring [lazy.]
It looked...awful!! So ruffly and wavy, and not straight at all. I started to pull it off. 

But I had only glued it on one side yet--the inside of the shade--so it actually refused to be removed and just hung like a little bedskirt. Kinda cute! So it stays. 
 

My daughter's room, and new hobby: cleaning her princesses with water & a Q-tip. Smart girl!




Photo break. Breathe in, and out. Survey to-do pile. Begin again.



HELLO, MY NAME IS TWYNMAWRMOM, AND I HOARD FABRICS  

LISTEN! you should really get to know this new hobby of quilting. Modern quilting is art. And gorge.ous. And you usually only have to sew straight lines to start.

It's actually just an excuse for me to add to my fabric stash. I could just tape fabric all over the walls and I would live happy. But alas, I'm not in college anymore.

My package for this month
So I'm in a long-distance quilting bee, which I find absolutely hilarious and kind of amazing at the same time. I send out fabric to the other members when it's 'my' month, and they make me a block of my choosing. Then they do it to me. Most of us have never met in person. This month's block: "Wonky Corners."

So after the second set of strips and second corn muffin, I'm starting to understand it. Keep one corner straight and in tact, and just build from there. Make the tops of the strips wide at their 'top', and then the next set skinny up 'top', and so on and so on.

Honestly I understand quilters usually have a reason for this sort of thing but am I really supposed to iron, cut, and sew each time and repeat? I love to do all cuts, all ironing, and all sewing assembly line style. This is what's hard about quilting for other people.  

At first I was trying to just sew on the next two or three rows of strips at an angle, without cutting the excess in the back or ironing. Then I realize this is going to make it too bulky, and I'm sending this back to a beginner quilter so I don't need to handicap her! But if it were for me, I probably would've kept 'em. Makes quilts warmer. 

So I take out the shears and start free-handing the trimming in the back [gasp!]
Gaze at gorgeous fabrics.
Keep on sewing til I get to the right size. And...done.



 

This craft day brought to you by a morning of preschool and an afternoon of THIS...

HAPPY CRAFTING! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey well done on a fabulous block, and all the other makes too! Looks like you've got your hands full! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally need to give me some quilting lessons! I want to learn to progress past my boring block quilts. (And have an excuse to buy more fabric!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amanda, there is a shop hop the weekend of Nov 3! I already recruited Heather. We need an excuse to have another stitch and bitch, too!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...